Remembering My Father in Law

He was an Iyer who ran away..from Chennai, and joined the Navy, and then the Merchant Navy. He spoke impeccable (British) English, with only a hint of where he was originally from. He married a Maharashtrian doc, and settled down in Pune.

He was supportive of everything that we (my wife and I) tried, including some of our moves across Bhubaneswar, Hyderabad and Harihar. He was a loving grandpa to our kids, and spoilt them when he could (not that we didn't).

He also dealt with loneliness bravely, when his wife passed away early, and lived happily for many years after. He had a Man Friday to help him with errands, and cooking. He played Golf till he hurt his shoulder, and my Golf kit is mostly his original that he gifted me, and I still use it.

He would always invite us over when we were in Pune, and liked to have a drink with me, sometimes with my wife joining in (he raised his kids well, I must say). He got along with all our friends too.

I owe him a lot- my companion of 30 years, for one. Cheers to an officer and a gentleman, on his birth anniversary, October 1st.

 He is next to his daughter around my engagement, and below, at Harihar with my good friend Vijayakumar.



No comments:

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot