Apni Dhun Mein Rehta Hoon

I discovered a new website thanks to an article I was reading in the Mint Lounge (the saturday paper that I have come to like). It is www.rekhta.org which is essentially a one-stop site for re-discovering all your Urdu ghazals, nazms etc. Done in a format where you can search for the ghazal by Poet or by Lyrics, it is in both English and Hindi scripts. I found it brilliant, and so might you, if it interests you.

I tried finding two of my favourite ghazals- Apni Dhun mein rehta hoon and Dil mein ek leher si utthi hai abhi, and found the lyrics in a jiffy. Meanings of words difficult to fathom are available if you click on the word. Very useful. My Urdu will improve by leaps!

The first (Apni Dhun Mein) is a ghazal you can find Ghulam Ali singing (if you want to listen to it while I continue in my dhun), at http://gaana.com/#!/albums/anmol-sitare-vol-7-hindi

6 comments:

Meghna said...

Sounds interesting. Will check it out. Btw, while you are at it you might want to steer away from Asha Bhonsale's rendition of Dil mein ek leher.. She's killed it.

Diamond Head said...

I like the Ghulam and more importantly the message of your title... way to go

Rajendra said...

Yes, Meghna, thank you for the warning. I think Asha should stay away (should have?) from this kind of song, only exception being Umrao Jaan, maybe. Main to Ghulam Ali ka hi ghulam rahoonga. There is a Moti Mahal in South Ex, Delhi, where a guy models himself after Ghulam Ali, and sings live.

DH, Shukriya, Janaab.

Madhur said...

Aahaan! Interesting post.

Apart from Moti Mahal, You can also try - "Kabila", Aurbindo Place(Hauz Khas) or even "G Connaught Place"(Near PVR Rivoli)..they too have live ghazal performances (They had when I went there :D)


Rajendra said...

Sure, will try these on an appropriate occasion..thanks.

Unknown said...

The site www.rekhta.org has included hundreds of more poets with thousand of selected ghazals and nazms.

Conquering Gwalior

 Forts are meant to be conquered, and this one changed hands many times, from Qutbuddin Aibak to the Mughals, British and Marathas. Gwalior,...

These Were Liked a Lot