English Bites- Book That Does Not

This is a book that tickles. Manish Gupta is the author, and the byline of the book, or its subtitle is-My Fullproof English Learning Formula.

This is the second book about English I have read recently, after Etymologicon, and it does not disappoint. I will give you some free samples from it, and let you decide for yourself, whether it will disappoint you or not.

Darling literally is 'little dear', from the ancient 'dar' for dear, like duckling, or pigling. Remember that, the next time you use the word to address an endearing personality.

Amphibology is any ambiguous usage in English. Examples in the book-

1. Fine for parking. Get the double meaning?

2. Eat our curry- you won't get (any) better!

3. A quote by Groucho Marx- I once shot an elephant in my pajamas-er,  how did the elephant get in them?

4. Our dog eats everything and loves children.

About punctuation, there is a famous Oscar Wilde quote- 'I spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out.' A common problem authors face, and editors too, I am sure.

Well, lots of nuggets like this, and footnotes that explain meanings like in a Barron's guide, are lovely features of the book.

Since we are on words and language, I read an interesting term for an unmarried spouse in the papers the other day- POSSLQ, or Person of Other Sex Sharing Living Quarters. How's that for making your day?

3 comments:

Diamond Head said...

I saw a sign the other day at a shirt store - 30% off This Table - so I promptly pushed a third of the shirts off it

smita said...

good one..particularly the POSSLQ!

Rajendra said...

DH, that is like my friend who hugged the notice board in college because the notice said- 'Strictly adhere to this.'

Conquering Gwalior

 Forts are meant to be conquered, and this one changed hands many times, from Qutbuddin Aibak to the Mughals, British and Marathas. Gwalior,...

These Were Liked a Lot