Media and its Role

Let me start with a confession. I don't think too highly of the electronic media's ability in analysing news and views. I feel they tend to be simplistic, not very thoughtful, and irritating, aggravating, or downright rude most of the time. But I will concede that they have certain advantages when it comes to a crisis or a situation that requires a ball-by-ball commentary on events of great importance to large sections of society.

Wars are a case in point. There was a lot of criticism of 'embedded' correspondents during the Gulf War, but they did bring immediately home to Americans and othr viewers, what was happening. CNN was the first 24 hour news channel, started by Ted Turner in Atlanta (I have been to their studio). We now have many news channels, in several languages. But it is during an event like we have seen over the last couple of weeks, that we see viewers flocking to them, and their TRPs shooting through the roof.

For daily news and analysis, I still prefer the newspaper and its (slowly falling) depth. But for events of high immediacy and wide import, like the Hazare movement, or a war, or election results, the electronic media and the internet have no substitute. The electronic media also pin people down for their views or opinions for all to see, and though it is uncomfortable at times, it ends up showing people a different side of the celebrities. I think I would miss the media the most if I had to live in a dictatorial regime anywhere.

2 comments:

Diamond Head said...

I think the BBC once came on air and simply said - This is the BBC - there is no News and wrapped up.

If media can be this candid I think they have a role to play.

Rajendra said...

yes, some guys ought to do this.

Some Meetings are Just Too Good

 Ok, one such meetup happened yesterday, with old friends, Prachi Jain and Pratishtha Batra, of IIM Indore fame. There was a new member too ...

These Were Liked a Lot