Marathi Manoos

I am confused. I was born in Andhra (now Telangana) to Maharashtrian parents from Belgaum and Jalgaon, and have lived in Orissa, Delhi, Lucknow, Nagpur, Calicut, Bangalore and Harihar apart from Hyderabad. I speak Telugu, understand Kannada, speak Marathi at home, understand and read some literary stuff in the mother tongue.

My confusion is- am I a Marathi manoos or not? At the rate at which the definition of one keeps changing, I may never know.

Am I an Indian? Probably, as I have lived in India a majority of my 57 years, but at various points of time, I feel affinity towards America (where I have friends, relatives etc like every other Indian), or European nations for their contributions to society, or African nations because they are where we were a few hundred years ago, with the potential to be a lot different, and so on.

But the confusion is ever present. Who am I?

6 comments:

Diamond Head said...

Interesting question - as Robert De Niro kept asking the don in the classic 'Analyze This' - "Who Am I? Who I am? You want to know who I am - is that it?"

It was also the quintessential question in a recent class I took on leadership for strategic execution. One's identity is crucial for any conversation to be meaningful.

In this flat world that is going to more and more difficult to define and melding cultures will or have begun to create a new breed of survivalists called Global Citizens.

Diamond Head said...

correction - it was Billy Crystal acting on behalf of Niro (as his Consiliere or advisor) speaking to Primo (the Don)!

prb said...

That is why you should come to America man. I am from Amaravati. No one ask you this question in America. We are all Americans. You will rarely meet original Americans.

Rajendra said...

Thanks, prb, will consider your suggestion.
tire36, point well made. I am a global citizen, in a world of melting glaciers.

Beyond said...

Who you are- you are that one who Indian believes in the concept of peace and love. The one who understands humanity and the one who is not influenced my any political stunt and influences and is wise enough to chose the good from the bad.

Harimohan said...

Raja, you're at a great advantage. When in Maharashtra don the Marathi manoos garb and when in Andhra the Manavadu garb and so on with all other places you have been to. Power to the Janata Janrdhan!

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot