Malaysian Sing-song

On an earlier visit to Malaysia I was struck by the lyrical quality of the Malay language. It was love at second sight when I went there last week- with the language, I mean. Here are a few phrases to prove the point.

Taman Kanak Kanak- Children's Play Area- you can almost hear the children make cute noises if you say that aloud!

Perlepasan Antarabangsa- International Departures

Dilarang Merokok- No Smoking. What a musical way to give you the bad news if you are a smoker.

Bilik Tungu Ulang Alik- Shuttle Waiting Area. Not the space shuttle, but the grounded variety.

Bilik Khas- Special lounge. Reminded me of the Diwan-e-khas in Akbar's court.

Daftar Masuk- Check-in.

Duduk- Seat. Rhymes with dubuk, a sound made when you immerse something in water. That's why I always found the Dubuq, Iowa name funny when in the U.S.

Tandas- Toilets.

And finally, my favourite, Tuntutan Bagasi- Baggage Claim.

I could spend a day just reading the signs in Malaysia! Wonderful.




3 comments:

Diamond Head said...

I have noticed that other than time based jet and brain lag after arriving back to base there is also a flavor, culture and patois lag that one has to deal with..

smita said...

guess what do they say when they get angry -SINGHAM!

Rajendra said...

Yes, I am still lagging..after I hear a few choice gaalis in local Delhi lingo, I should be alright!
Smita, that's a good one. You could try and be an word-inventor like Milton of Paradise Lost fame- will explain sometime.

Conquering Gwalior

 Forts are meant to be conquered, and this one changed hands many times, from Qutbuddin Aibak to the Mughals, British and Marathas. Gwalior,...

These Were Liked a Lot