Legends of Teaching

 I am referring to teaching legends here. There have been quite a few in my student career. Also a few I have seen among colleagues at XIM, IMT, KIAMS, and the IIMs. Usually they have a great connect with students, are empathetic but also tough in grading them.

SK Roy was one phenomenal O.B. teacher. Made a great combination with Gopal Valecha, who was very different, but complemented Prof. Roy very well. I learnt about human behaviour from these two in their courses, and later from observation and applying what they had taught.

JD Singh was simply the best intro to marketing (or Makting, as he called it!) that one could wish for. His gestures, pauses, questions (Is that the only cause?, being his favourite).

Thiru was in a class of his own, and another great teacher with no Ph.D. after his name. Just goes to prove that teaching is an art that can be developed by anyone- non-doctors included. His handling of cases, and interspersing Indian lingo- Hindi, Tamil, etc. was creative! 

Back in school, it was English Literature that was my favourite. (Now, it would probably be history or Geography). And Anjaneya Sastry did create great interest in the Romantic Poets (the birth of the romantic in me!) and Shakespeare. Friends, Romans, Countrymen, I rest my case. It takes great teachers to create interest in a subject.

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot