Marathi Manoos

The Marathi Manoos was in a quandary. He had to face an oncoming interview with the Breaking News Channel on their Ethnic Special Series. He did not know if he should wear a traditional Marathi dhoti-kurta-chappal or a suit. He finally settled for a compromise, as he always did- trousers and shirt.

The interviewer was a very pretty young thing. That made him nervous. Excerpts from the interview:

VPYT: So, Mr. Manoos, what gives you your identity?

MM: I think three things- My Marathi newspaper, Kanda Poha and Puran Poli.

VPYT: Two out of three of these are foods. You mean you are still stuck at that basic level of human experience?

MM: What to do? We are unable to go beyond a point. We are afraid to take risk, you know. The Gujarati goes to US and starts a motel, the Malayalee goes to the Gulf and takes over their plumbing, the Telugu goes to the US and gets a fat dowry, but we are stuck in Pune and Mumbai, not even going to Singapore. But we did make the Baakarwadi of Chitale Bandhu a great success by eating loads of it. Core competence, you know.

VPYT: So what are you considering as your goals in the next five years?

MM: I will work hard and get a promotion to the next level in my company. I will buy a new car on instalment basis. I will also regularly take a walk in Peshwe Park, and shuttle between Pune and Mumbai half a dozen times every year on the new expressway.

VPYT (now nearing exasperation): But what about larger goals, Mr. Manoos?

MM: Larger goals? Oh, yes, I will vote for Shiv Sena, which is the only party that cares for me.

No comments:

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot