Delhi Winters

 It was a cool 7 degrees Celsius when I landed in Delhi at 9 am the other day. The change of season brings about significant change in behavior among Delhi-ites. The sweaters are out, and the shawls, mufflers and jackets. The first time I lived in Delhi in the 80s, I thought the city was full of corporate executives in winter. But I quickly discovered that it was winter 'jackets' rather than components of a corporate suit that everyone was wearing.

The vegetables start looking fresher, and are definitely cheaper. Particularly cauliflower, carrots and green peas. The fruit basket also looking richer in quality and variety. You start craving pakodas and other fried stuff even if you are not pregnant. You also start craving sunlight, which you hated not too long ago. It is nice to warm yourself under the rays of the 'mother of all lights', to use a Bush-like turn of phrase.

Hibernation seems like a good option to people with 'sunny dispositions' like me. A good brandy is kept handy to deal with sudden 'global freezing' at your doorstep. More potatoes are found on the couch (and under the quilts) than usual.

10 comments:

smita said...

good one on "Dilli ki sardi"

Diamond Head said...

this 'Kohra' phenomenon also asso. with winter stranded our inbound flight for hours on end some years back - then led all the clueless visitors out on some field to graze their way into immigration

Rajendra said...

oh, yes, the kohra..is yet to start adding the fun element to flying.

Madhur said...

Besides the fresh vegetables and the fog, one cannot afford to miss Gajar ka Halwa and other lip smacking dishes which are specially made during winters in Chandni Chowk!

Meghna said...

In Bombay, we don't really have winters. I've experienced North Indian winters 3-4 times but for a very short period of time. Last year, my yearning for an actual winter was assuaged in Nagpur. Sadly, this year Bombay's pseudo winter seems to be camping here.

Rajendra said...

Yes, Madhur, I think a visit to CC (not CCD) is due..Karim's too, nearby is supposed to be good for the carnivores.

Meghna, be careful..it's Mumbai..you could get ARRESTED..ha, ha..

Meghna said...

Hahaha, right you are! Now I should not say what I really want to.

Madhur is a herbivore btw. He wouldn't really care for Karim's as much as he'd for Bittu Chaat Wala.

Madhur said...

hahaha.. Meghna you are right, Bittu Tikki Wala anyday anytime :) but I've been to Karim's also for paneer roll though ;)

Sir, even you should try Bittu Tikki Wala atleast once, it is at Netaji Subhash Place and Kamla Nagar(North Campus)

Rajendra said...

Madhur, Bittu sounds interesting...I'll remember to eat there some time. Was it featured on that Highway on My Plate show?

Madhur said...

I'm not sure whether it was featured on the show or not because I missed the episode on Delhi :(

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot