Takia Kalaam

I think it is known as a takia kalaam in Urdu..something that is repeated in dialogue or verse. Many of us have a tendency to use a word or phrase very often when we speak. Teachers are particularly susceptible, but not the only culprits. Some of these phrases are-

You know, whatever, Getting it? (this was used by our bio teacher in school), You know what I mean, Am I right? (used by a friend) and similar ones.

One that students in the north (or from the north) use a lot is Matlab (not the software). This is used anywhere, at the beginning, end or at a pause in a sentence.

Students are usually quick at picking up these along with traits or mannerisms peculiar to people, and farewell parties at many B schools are filled with fun imitations of profs. We had one who said Makting instead of Marketing, and we still use this among friends. Some of us had actually adapted a song with various profs and courses figuring in it.

We also have regional accents that are tickle-inducing. One I remember is someone asking Bos gaya kya, meaning bus gaya kya (Oriya version), and getting an answer that Boss had gone (Mallu version from the guy answering). Well, well..

8 comments:

Meghna said...

I made tally marks of a certain takia kalaam in class one day. If only the class had lasted 5 more minutes, we'd have had a century.

Rajendra said...

good, on the positive side, it kept you awake and alert!

smita said...

one very senior corporate from a very renowned organization whom i met sometime back had a very interesting one..he kept saying "for is that" after every sentence ..although i tried all permutations and combinations i still could not make any sense out of it..and i am told he visits many reputed Bschools for delivering lectures... what a fun!

Madhur said...

In under graduation, I used to make frequency distribution charts of a certain takia kalaam in each and every session of a particular subject.
Now, In post graduation, almost all the notebooks which I have, contains tally marks and in one lecture it crossed 160!

Rajendra said...

Madhur, Meghna, you must tell me more a little later about the PG kalaams you mention. Centuries are always very interesting things, and not just in cricket...Smita, I heard a new corporate one...'basis' this, basis that...recently. Made no sense at all.

Meghna said...

It will be fun discussing the takia kalams. Some of them, by their repetition, have had me in splits at times.

Madhur said...

Absolutely! I hope we get to meet before Meghna and I graduate from the college. I'm sure it'll be fun discussing all the various takia kalams we've come across till now which had left us in a state of LOL/ ROFL..quite literally.

Rajendra said...

We shall try and make that happen!

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot