More from The Genius in My Basement

A couple of quotes from the book (quirky as hell) by Alexander Masters that I had written about before.

 "It is a cliche that mathematicians are over the hill by their mid-thirties, but often it's not loss of mathematical intelligence that weakens their ability, but loss of focus. They meet someone luscious in the university canteen, get married, shackle themselves with debt, find they are suddenly pushing a pram containing twins; or they decide they haven't done enough for the health of the world and stumble off to fight American Imperialism. ...the mathematical concentration is shot, and before these ex-geniuses can get it back, it's time to retire and die themselves."

The book is about a mathematician, Simon.

"As a child, Simon invented an idea called 'Vortex Theory'. According to Vortex Theory, one step in the wrong sartorial direction-eg, buying a new pair of trousers when there are still two days left in the old ones before the police file indecency charges-and the Vortex will get you. A second later, you will be swirling down Saville Row in a frenzy of designer suits and Gucci tiepins."

Finally, Simon's views about public transport services in England. He is a big fan, and takes trips on buses and trains all the time.

"I'd say that you ought to treat me as if I was currently watching the great love of my life (the public transport system) being slowly murdered, torn between my desire to save her and expose her murderers and my wish to spend as much time as I can with her while she is still alive."



2 comments:

Harimohan said...

You know Raja, you and I write stuff like this, we'll get shot by publishers - especially Indian (or given the cold shoulder which is more our desi style). But this stuff from the genius in the basement is brilliant and I am glad the English publishers. Reminds me of Mr. Alain de Botton and his take on Proust. Super stuff.

Rajendra said...

Yup, I am in agreement. And I have decided not to buy trousers for two more days, at least.

XLRI Doctoral Colloquium 2024

 Pics from a well-organised event.  With TAS Vijayaraghavan, my classmate and XLRI prof., and Dr. Prashant, host. My talk on Building Academ...

These Were Liked a Lot