Wonders of Social Media

If someone had told me while growing up that there would be free communication avenues to keep in touch with friends worldwide, I wouldn't have believed it. Being in a people-intensive profession (teaching), I also have students who are spread across the world, and ex-colleagues. Some of them have remained in touch since email days (they seem numbered, the email days). Many more media have appeared on the horizon since then that are better, with my favourite being fb..I know, the youngsters are groaning, again..but half the world's population can't be wrong, right?

Here's just one couple (and their cute kid) I met again due to our being in touch on social media.


But such wonderful technology was made possible by innovations in hardware and software by hundreds of different innovators, and funded by governments who may have originally developed some of it for military uses (spying, in other words). Whatever the origins, it has definitely been a Godsend for many people who like to stay in touch with people across the world. I keep saying though, that periodically, these virtual friendships benefit from a real handshake and looking into each others' eyes (not romantically, necessarily). I have had lovely meetings with students, colleagues, friends (new and old-some I met first on FB) over the last few years only thanks to their being in touch on facebook. Hope that silsila continues.. Zuckerberg bro, I am a Fan!

An aside- wherever I go, people tell me they need to win my DP Award soon, or complain about not winning it ever..my words of advice would be listen to the Gully Boy and believe in his song..Apna Time Aayega.

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot