Aunts Are Gentlemen

 I know P.G. Wodehouse would disagree, but then, these are my aunts-I am therefore entitled to an opinion. I had several aunts, and also a couple of older cousins who were almost like them. All of them, without exception, were loving and welcoming. We used to treat their homes as if they were our own, and sometimes land up in their homes without so much as a post card- phones were a luxury, and some of us did not have them. I am talking of the seventies, mostly, and eighties.

They were spread across India- Indore also had one. Pune (my present hometown, not then) was the most frequently visited, and I met my future wife there, in an aunt's house. In fact, she helped me shortlist wives (potential) from ads in a magazine! We had great fun with cousins, from Mumbai to Hyderabad. Attended weddings in Jabalpur, Nagpur, Satna, among other places. 

Cousins also bonded well, and we went on an annual New Year outing usually from Pune to the Konkan area till a year ago.  Now most of the cousins are grandpops and grandmoms ourselves, so it's been a lovely extended family, with roots in different places..even abroad. I have nephews or nieces who are married to Poles, Germans, Australians and so on. And of course, I count among my friends Sri Lankans, Chinese, Americans, Canadians, and lots more.


No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot