Anopheles and Covid Vaccines

 Anopheles was back once again after a while, and I gave her a quick update on the COVID situation in India and the world. I said, "This has proved more dangerous than anything that mosquitoes have done to us." She couldn't resist a smile. She said, "Aren't you supposed to have a vaccine?"

I told her the truth. basically, that we don't know if and when we would have one. I said, "Oxford has a vaccine coming up that may be the one.." . She said, "What about Cambridge?"

I said I didn't know, though I was wondering how she knew that Oxford and Cambridge were usually spoken about in the same breath.

I told her Sputnik was the first one off the mark, but it went UP in smoke, and has not been heard of since. Also, that China does not need one, since there is no outbreak there any more. She raised her eyebrows (OK, its equivalent..mosquitoes don't have eyebrows, I know). 

"Are you going to take a shot if they want to give you one?" she asked, putting me in a spot.

"I really don't know," I said. "I don't know if enough of them will be available anytime soon. Plus, the data on its efficacy is a bit sketchy." 


No comments:

Work Travels in Delhi and Maharashtra

 We had a rather hectic week, first at an admission fair in Pragati Maidan, Delhi. We met a few prospective students and counseled them to a...

These Were Liked a Lot