North East

 For me, this includes North and East, not just North-East. So many of my student friends are from these two regions, that I feel completely integrated. Particularly from Kolkata, Odisha, Bihar, and U.P. (Lucknow, Ghaziabad included), and M.P. (Jabalpur, Bhopal, Indore in particular), and of course, Delhi, Jaipur and so on, I can count hundreds of students/alumni.

There are some characteristics that are unique to various parts of India. East and North also have some distinctive ones. Outgoing, respectful to elders, and generous, is what I found Northerners to be. Slightly more reserved, well-read and even more respectful to teachers and elders are what Easterners typically are.

Since I grew up in the South and had relatives in the Mumbai-Pune region because of our roots, my first interaction with the North happened in 1984, when I went to work in Delhi at Living Media. A colleague in IIM Lucknow later told me a joke in which a passenger travels from Delhi to Kolkata in a train, that has him asking somebody to do something, and the answers he gets in various places range from Haan, ho jayega, ..to 'Cholbey na..' 

Anyway, our diversity is amazing, and I have found nice people from Kashmir to Kanyakumari (yes, I have had students from Kashmir too, in two B schools, and I visited Srinagar as a tourist and stayed on the Dal Lake in a houseboat long ago). Cheers to all Indians, from everywhere.

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot