My Thoughts at 46 and 49

Thoughts at different points in life

Why me? No Particular Reason, I Suppose

A Journey of forty six action-packed years

This is me-well, obviously, it can't be anyone else. Can it? I grew up in a coal town with a lot of coal for company. We even tried brushing our teeth with coal powder as kids! Gradually, as I had to move out to get some education, I went to a hostel in a city, with hardly any "urban" qualities. But as far as prisons go, it was a comfortable one, and we could (had to?) play some games. So I played cricket.

Growing up, I don't really know how I got through some exams, and I was an engineer-MBA, a deadly combination. But working with an ad agency, I figured out that I liked neither engineering, nor corporate lifestyle, nor even advertising. So I became a market researcher next, and another one of those coincidences saw me in a Ph.D. program, doing a doctorate in management. No one employs Ph.Ds but academia, so I had to teach. Surprisingly, I found myself liking it. And have been in it ever since.

Recently, I read an amazing book called A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, and am impressed by the insignificance of all life forms in the scheme of things. I firmly believe in this, sometimes believe the world is a joke and someone is constantly laughing, maybe rolling on the cosmic floor holding his belly, watching all the fun.

I am impressed by some artists, like Guru Dutt, Kishore Kumar, Wodehouse and Sanjeev Kumar. I like to read, play golf and occasionally write too. Currently, I direct a B-school running an MBA program, and try to figure out the myriad rules that govern us-it reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.

Rajendra Nargundkar

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot