Analyzing Art

 Seems paradoxical, at first sight. Art is about imagination, possibilities..

Should anyone be analyzing it at all? And what is the analysis worth, if done?

Not all art can and should be, is my view. Some of it is beyond analysis, or liable to misrepresentation through wrong analysis. Unless the artist concurs with the interpretation, that is.

But then, interpretation is something that will happen, regardless. Even among the people who appreciate your art, some will interpret it differently from what you intended it to be. For example, the same film that is liked by many people, could be differently interpreted. The story goes that R.K. Narayan, the author of Guide, based on which Vijay Anand directed the film, did not like the film. Nevertheless, the majority of viewers did, and it is considered a classic today.

I liked the jokes in the film Quick Gun Murugan, and some of the names of characters, like Rice Plate Reddy. The deadpan humour too. Not everyone's cup of tea, maybe, like the TV parody Lola Kutty. I thought it was brilliant (will all my Mallu friends beat me up, I wonder!).

My take is- enjoy it, rather than analyse it. 

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot