Sridevi Passes Away

An unfortunate accident took her away at 54, it seems. I was not exactly a big fan, but I enjoyed quite a few of her roles. She had star power, and a great screen presence. I particularly liked her in the exuberant roles such as Chaalbaaz and Mr. India, than in the serious ones.

Along with Rekha and Hema Malini, she was one of the South Indian actresses who held their own in the otherwise male-dominated film industry for many years. I think that-being a strong woman- was itself a contribution she made to films in Mumbai.

Her return in the film English Vinglish was noteworthy because she played a character her age, and played it well. This was written and directed by Gauri Shinde, a good woman director of recent times. Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari is another woman director whose work I liked a lot- Bareilly ki Barfi and Nil Battey Sannata were her films.

Anyway, she is now one with the stars above, and I hope she is doing well someplace.

No comments:

Some Meetings are Just Too Good

 Ok, one such meetup happened yesterday, with old friends, Prachi Jain and Pratishtha Batra, of IIM Indore fame. There was a new member too ...

These Were Liked a Lot