Radio Heroes

 Kishore Kumar was definitely number one for me, among singers I heard on radio. Then came all others, maybe Asha Bhosle was second, if I had to choose. Rafi, Manna Dey, Mukesh, Lata, and so on. Among the older generation before these, I liked Shamshad Begum and Mubarak Begum, and Geeta Dutt.

Much later, I came to appreciate KL Saigal and Pankaj Mullick. And ghazal singers- Jagjit Singh, Pankaj Udhas, Ghulam Ali and Mehdi Hasan (I have seen live concerts of the later three)

The announcers of Radio Ceylon/Sri Lanka were favourites, but Ameen Sayani was an all-out winner with many sponsored programs like Binaca Geet Mala, S. Kumar's ka Filmi Muqaddama, and so on. 

The Chhaaya Geet on Vividh Bharati was a favourite (it's on right now- what a coincidence!). Otherwise, Aap hi ke Geet on Radio Ceylon which had the latest hits from current movies.

Why am I recounting all this? Because Feb. 13th is World Radio Day. That's why!

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot