Three IIMs As a Professor

 I will shortly complete my 7 year stint at the third IIM I have worked in. Lucknow, 2001-03, Kozhikode or Calicut (2003-05), and now, Indore (2013-2020). I have been frequently asked why I did not stay too long in some workplaces. I will instead try and tell you why I did stay here for 7 years. 

I had visited IIM Indore a couple of times for different reasons, before I came to work here. Always found the attitude of the staff to be helpful on my visits. Indoreans are, without exception, nice people-probably extends to the rest of the state..I have recently made some friends in Bhopal/Dewas too, which reinforces this belief. Also visited Khandwa, Mandu, Patalpani, Maheshwar and Omkareshwar a couple of times at least. My interactions with the housekeeping staff, the drivers and attendants at the offices, were cordial, and they were always helpful when we needed help. 

Students, I had a variety of- one year EPGP, 2 year PGPMX at Mumbai, PGP here and at Mumbai campus, and the crowning glory- PGP regular. Occasionally, IPM and Dubai programs. MDPs, in-company,, and GMPE were some others. We designed a couple specifically for Whirlpool, Tata Trent and HPCL. Most were memorable.

I learnt a lot about the new kid on the block, Digital Marketing, while teaching it and writing cases about it, or sourcing them from students or alumni. Also developed a course on Tourism Marketing for PGP and Ph.D. Very interesting for me!

A few international conferences enabled me to interact with global researchers, from Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Korea, etc.- enriching. Wrote cases on international marketing retailing, tourism etc. Wrote research papers on Social Media, B to B marketing and Faculty Branding, some of which found outlets in journals of repute. 

Ran a couple of conferences with NASMEI with young colleagues. Also guest lectured at multiple places, went for faculty selections at IIMs and NITIE, and FDPs at Belgaum's Gogte Institute. All in all, an action-packed, satisfying 7 years, I must say. Hope the victims of my teaching feel good about my attempts as well! Will remember lots of them.

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot