The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken- Book Review

This is a Vish Puri mystery- yes, the Dilliwala jasoos created by Tarquin Hall that I had referred to in an earlier post. This is his second book I  read, and I am quite impressed. The Delhi language and mannerisms of all the aunties (particularly the aunties), the guys, the ordinary people 'and all' , is spot on. The mystery is no less.

A dinner guest, father of a Pakistani cricketer, is poisoned in full public view, at a gala dinner after an IPL (name disguised) cricket match. Vish Puri has eaten the same butter chicken that killed him. A lot of big businessmen  and their families are present, and are suspects.

How Vish Puri, aided by his mother (mummy-ji) solves this international crime, involving the betting ring-leader, a paan laced with aconite, a moustache thief who steals the facial hair of the record-holder for the longest 'mouche',  Pak ex-general with a softer side, and the diamond-smuggling syndicate of Gujarat, is the rest of this absorbing story. Tarquin Hall also takes a few cracks at Agatha Christie  (solving a crime in a village of a dozen geriatrics is different from doing so in India, Vish Puri says) and the British people along the way.

A fun read, and I am looking forward to 'The Man Who Died Laughing' next, which I bought with great foresight before I left Delhi a few months ago.

Comments

Diamond Head said…
Per my doc the local oil stringed (dead) Goat Karhai is going to be the bucket (I kick)
Rajendra said…
To each his own, I suppose, DH.

These Were Liked a Lot

You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When it Monsoons

Descriptive Names

Comic Dialogue

Airport Art

Strictly Speaking

Resolute Resolutions

Worrisome Worries