Basu Chatterjee

 He was a director I first encountered with Rajnigandha. Tightly edited, a simple story about a girl who has to make a choice between two suitors. And does. But the filming of this story leaves an impact felt for a long time. Vidya Sinha got a great role.

Then I saw Chhoti si Baat, where a trainer teaches the hero how to beat competition and win a lady love. Ashok Kumar played the trainer. A comedy handled in a breezy fashion. Again, with great music to accompany the story. 

Chitchor was next. Set in rural India, it was a musical, with a simple story yet again. Zarina Wahab was never so impressive. Amol Palekar scored a hat-trick- he was in all three.

After that I also saw a few more films (Priyatama, Shaukeen) and TV (Rajni, Byomkesh Bakshi) serials he directed. Very impressive, making him my favourite director among a few others I like- Hrishikesh Mukherjee, Gulzar, Vijay Anand. Editing and screenplay were his forte, I believe.

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot