Tamilnadu

 I am starting on a tour of Indian states. At various times, I have been to Tamilnadu, starting with Chennai when I was a teen or younger. In 1978, we went on a South India tour by train-a whole bogie to us students- and had Chennai, Erode, Rameswaram, Kanyakumari on our itinerary. The Rameswaram temple, and the bridge leading to the town are two things I remember. Also, the first sight of the Indian Ocean.

Last I went to Chennai, we visited the Kanchipuram temples, and Pulicat lake about an hour's drive from Chennai. Enjoyed both, for different reasons. A boatman took us on a short ride to where the lake meets the sea. We (Vijayakumar, Jayasimha and I) had fun roaming around and collecting sea shells. I still have a few.

In between, we drove around a few times, via Trichy, to Kodaikanal, and from Coimbatore to Ooty, Kotagiri or Coonoor. Sometimes, it was was to play Golf, and at others, just to visit friends or for sightseeing







. I once went to Tirunelveli (a university had invited me) and had the famous halwa there, and also visited Coutrallam waterfall. 

From Chennai, we visited Mahabalipuram a few times too, and Pondicherry once (from Bangalore, and then by flight, from Hyderabad another time). Nice experiences. I like the thali they serve everywhere in the state, and the filter coffee too. 

One strange thing I remember from Chennai in 1978..there were not many women venturing out on the road during the day!

No comments:

Long Awaited Goa Trip

 It finally happened. The family went on a vacation to Goa and stayed at a new place in Candolim called Lillywood Highland Resort. Also foun...

These Were Liked a Lot