Mallus in My Life

There have always been some Mallus in my life. To begin with, there were the nuns in my convent, early in life. I remember one in particular, who taught Hindi, and pronounced all the bindis..hoom instead of hoon is what I mean.

Classmates, if any, were NRIs or at least non-natives of Kerala, until IIMB. Senior was called that to distinguish him from Junior- Nanda Kumars both. He was the genuine article from Kochi, along with one Uday Damodaran. Later in life, I had Rameshan as a colleague and Revi as a good friend, both from near Kozhikode. Revi was a cocktail expert, and we may have created and had hundreds in those two years. We also went fishing and on family picnics.

But in between, I also had a few students in Kirloskar Institute, some of whom were Gelf-returned. I am in touch with Vidya TC, Smita Mohan, Dheeraj even today. (here he is, with Jayasimha)
Later students include Sreeram and Gowri from IMT Nagpur, along with Unnikrishnan. Padmapriya became an honorary Mallu by acting in Malyalam films-she was also a student at Kirloskar.

Of course, since I worked in IIM Kozhikode, there were quite a few who worked there too- Unni the prof., and John (a couple of them), Shaji, Kunhikrishnan and Kurup (he usually had a flower in his ear, Indonesian-style) in admin., and many more. Of course, Uday was also there, as a colleague.

Thomas was a close friend at Vignana Jyoti, Hyderabad. Hilarious, and great at coining nicknames for people, he and I must have had a zillion biryanis at Garden restaurant, at Clock Tower. He had also worked at U.B.'s brewery before, and was always telling me how little the cost of beer is for the manufacturer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As they say, you will find a mallu wherever you go.

Rajendra said...

Yeah, even on the moon :)

Comedians as Heads of State

 Seriously (!), it's not such a bad idea. We already have the Ukrainian Prez., the Punjab C.M. and in the past, Trump and Bush (OK, not ...

These Were Liked a Lot